Re: Renaming openstack to genericfull, introducing generic

On 12/9/18 9:10 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Moin
>
> I'd like to rename the image currently marked as openstack to
> "genericfull".  It will continue using the full kernel mage and support
> most of the targets of cloud-init.  As the image marked for openstack is
> already used in this capacity, for example by digital ocean, nothing
> would really change.

I very much would like to move to the direction of having less images if
possible. And on that direction, there's no reason that the AWS image
stays separated from the OpenStack one. When I told about it during the
sprint, I was vigorously replied that I was being silly and that has
already been discussed. I was however not part of this discussion, or
somehow unheard. Indeed, there really is no reason that the AWS image
gets produced differently from the OpenStack one. Last year, we checked
for it, and the current OpenStack image runs perfectly on HVM instances
on AWS.

All that to say, if we get the OpenStack image renamed as generic, then
we also need to get the AWS image go away and merged. It works for
DigitalOcean, why not with AWS?

The only thing that would be problematic, is probably the fact that
"admin" instead of "debian" is the username in AWS. However:
- This can be overridden in the metadata
- It's "only" a question of documenting this
- IMO we really need to have a Debian standard, and get rid of
cloud-specific ones

> I also intend to introduce another image "generic", which only supports
> certain virtual environments by using the cloud kernel, but is
> significantly smaller.
>
> Any problems with that?

This type of flavor are IMO a way more interesting to have, rather than
DigitalOcean vs AWS vs OpenStack.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)