Re: Announcing EOL for Jessie images

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:10:57AM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 05:52:15PM +0000, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> > I object because, at the 2018 Debian Cloud Sprint, we collectively
> > decided that we were not offering Debian LTS Cloud Images.  Are we
> > changing our decision?  I'd like to see collective decision making, not
> > one-offs for each platform.
>
> That's precisely why I asked. However, I don't want to focus too much on
> process or collective decision making. Every provider is different. The
> existing images available for a given provider, and their adoption, is
> different. The level of support given by the provider themselves is
> different. The level of effort involved in continuing to support jessie
> images varies by provider. Etc, etc.

Is this true: the goal of the Debian Cloud Team is to make roughly equievalent
Debian Cloud Images for the various cloud providers so that
Debian users have a consistent (to the degree possible) experience with
Debian in each cloud?

If true, is it also true for Debian LTS Cloud Images?  I can accept that
it might not be, especially if the Debian Cloud Team _isn't_ taking
accountability for these LTS images (regardless of who is responsible
for the work: Credative for Azure, etc.).

> I propose to revisit the decision because I think it was made in haste,
> and with incomplete information.

That's fair.

> Note that I'm not necessarily proposing that we provide regularly
> updates LTS images for the full duration of the LTS lifecycle.

This, combined with the per-provider approach, suggests that the Debian
Cloud Team isn't accountable for the LTS images? Which would then lead
to a question about how to publish the LTS images.

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi