Problem creating Vagrant boxes

Dear Debian Cloud Team,

on the occasion of re-investigating vagrant I stumpled upon the debian-vm-templates and the fai-cloud-images git repos.
Esp. the latter is exactly what I was looking for. Nice!

Anyhow I have the following problem (on a Stretch system) with both
`make stretch-image-vagrant`in fai-cloud-images and
`make -C vmdebootstrap-libvirt-vagrant stretch` in debian-vm-templates.
(This is no surprise as debian-vm-templates/helpers/vagrant-setup and fai-cloud-images/config_space/scripts/VAGRANT/20-setup are more or less identical.)

After the initial debootstrap further package installations fail because DNS resolution does not work inside the chroot, eg.:

Enabling systemctl-resolved for DNS
Running customize script /data.local1/debian-vm-templates/vmdebootstrap-libvirt-vagrant/../helpers/vagrant-setup
> [..]
+ chroot /tmp/tmpUo5_fS apt-get update
Err:1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'httpredir.debian.org'
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/InRelease  Temporary failure resolving 'httpredir.debian.org'
> [..]
+ chroot /tmp/tmpUo5_fS apt-get install -qy dctrl-tools
[..] > Err:1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64
dctrl-tools amd64 2.24-2+b1
  Temporary failure resolving 'httpredir.debian.org'
E: Failed to fetch http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dctrl-tools/dctrl-tools_2.24-2+b1_amd64.deb  Temporary failure resolving 'httpredir.debian.org'
[..]
EEEK! Something bad happened...

Is that a known problem?

My fix would be to drop the hosts /etc/resolv.conf to
/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf inside the image.

Reading the manpage of systemd-resolved it looks like this problem may be circumvented/hidden by running systemd-resolved on the host the image is built on. Probably the client will implicitly use 127.0.0.53 as its DNS server?

We are not using systemd-resolved in our setup and I cannot easily test it at the moment. In general it would be nice if the scripts work without relying on a specific host setup anyhow.

Kind regards
	Christopher