Re: Call for Testing: Stretch Cloud Images on AWS

On 2017-02-03 08:12:35, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  2 février 2017 21:42 -0800, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> :
>
> >> overall the image looks fine, no extraneous things, sysctl is clean,
> >> etc. great job. :)
> >
> > Interesting that you bring up sysctl. I consider it a bug that we're
> > currently running with an unmodified set of sysctl variables. Apparently
> > you disagree. My reasoning is that the kernel defaults are intended to
> > be very broadly applicable, but the cloud AMI is a more specific use
> > case and it should be possible to provide a more appropriate set of
> > defaults for various settings. We can tune our sysctl settings towards
> > server optimizations because we know we're not running on a device like
> > a laptop or mobile device.
>
> There is no such things as an universal sysctl settings for servers. The
> ones set for EC2 are quite reasonable but still debatable and different
> from default settings.

Yes, sysctl settings are IMO one of the few divergences we need to have in
Cloud Images in comparison to the default Debian image.

snip

> At least, a comment should be added on top of the file stating those
> changes are advices from Amazon for their platform.

+1

On 2017-02-03 14:20:53, gustavo panizzo wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:42:04PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 04:29:11PM +0800, gustavo panizzo wrote:
> > > I saw your blog post (which I've attached to this email), then the next
> > > time I needed an EC2 instance I tested the images on a non-IPv6 region
> > > (SG) and an IPv6 enabled VPC
> > >
> > > overall the image looks fine, no extraneous things, sysctl is clean,
> > > etc. great job. :)
> >
> > Interesting that you bring up sysctl. I consider it a bug that we're
> > currently running with an unmodified set of sysctl variables. Apparently
> > you disagree. My reasoning is that the kernel defaults are intended to
> > be very broadly applicable, but the cloud AMI is a more specific use
> > case and it should be possible to provide a more appropriate set of
> > defaults for various settings. We can tune our sysctl settings towards
> > server optimizations because we know we're not running on a device like
> > a laptop or mobile device.

I agree with the above and this is what we're still doing with current stable
images created with bootstrap-vz.

> the right thing to do would be ship tuned [1] or similar by default
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/tuned/
>
> As others mentioned before, I think we should avoid surprising the
> users. the AMI should be as vanilla as possible.

At this point in time user may be more surprised by lack of those as stated
above we're using tweaked sysctl already for some time and there ware no
complains how it works it was more about lack of documentation for them. Which
we tried to rectify with this wiki page
(https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/SystemsComparison).

Tuned looks interesting. If it really works as it says it may be quite
interesting to have it in Debian.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3