my progress

I pushed to git://git.debian.org/cloud/fai-cloud-images.git.

You can use the configuration space like
fai-diskimage -c DEBIAN,CLOUD,AMD64,GRUB_PC -S image_zieimage_name

It's very minimal, but does appear to produce an image.
The GCE class is present but I haven't tested it.
Next nweek I'll base my internal stuff on that and push any
non-proprietary changes out.
I think it would be reasonable to look at porting Jimmy's GCE work to
this config space and confirming that works.