Re: Moving vmdebootstrap development discussions so debian-cloud?

Le 29/10/2016 à 18:52, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :
> So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Hi Lars
I am not an active user of vmdebootstrap (I prefer the tools who use the
debian-installer) but the cross pollinisation is good.

I personally favour having different tools to build VM/cloud images, I
see it like having a choice of different helpers when building debian
packages. As long as you can call "debian/rules binary" you don't need
to know if cdbs or debhelper is doing the work in the background.

So if we could say that calling "make stable" after "cd
my_cloud_provider" is enough, then the team building the images would
not need to know the internals of each tool.

We use this approach with Antonio in the debian-vm-templates repository
on Alioth where we have three different buildtools (vmdebootstrap,
packer, lxc-create) for three different platforms (libvirt, virtualbox,
lxc) and it works well enough.

If I need to create say a Debian libvirt image for Vagrant, I would just
need to call

cd libvirt-vagrant
make jessie

and I get my libvirt image created without having to know which tool is
used in the background (in that case vmdebootstrap)

Emmanuel