Re: AWS EC2: Debian Stretch 9.0~20160923 AMIs for testing

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 07:17:30PM +0100, MArcin Kulisz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I think I made some reasonable progress with having Stretch AMIs.
>
> I'd like to piggyback on James call for testing Jessie 8.6 image and call for
> the same for the Stretch images (list below)
>
> Please give them a try and report back any issues.
>
> | us-east-1       | ami-add0abba |

I did give it a try, but found that the snapshot of these images is not
public. For example your ami-add0abba has snapshot snap-ecab835b which
is not publicly visible:

    https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=us-east-1#Snapshots:visibility=public;search=snap-ecab835b;sort=startTime

Older Debian AMIs have public snapshots:

    https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=us-east-1#Snapshots:visibility=public;search=snap-e96d2f43;sort=startTime

Having a private snapshot appears to make packer fail for me when trying
to customize that AMI:

    ==> amazon-chroot: Prevalidating AMI Name...
    ==> amazon-chroot: Gathering information about this EC2 instance...
    ==> amazon-chroot: Inspecting the source AMI...
    ==> amazon-chroot: Checking the root device on source AMI...
    ==> amazon-chroot: Creating the root volume...
    ==> amazon-chroot: Error creating root volume: InvalidSnapshot.NotFound: Snapshot does not exist
    ==> amazon-chroot: 	status code: 400, request id:
    Build 'amazon-chroot' errored: Error creating root volume: InvalidSnapshot.NotFound: Snapshot does not exist
            status code: 400, request id:

Not sure if that's because I'm doing something wrong, but the same code
definitely worked with the jessie AMIs.

Many thanks for all the hard work!

--
Brian Sutherland