Re: Building cloud images on Debian infrastructure

On 03/29/2016 02:54 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> As already known, Steve, Martin and me talked about how we could build
> Azure and all the other images on Debian infrastructure.  The results of
> this meeting were posted by Martin and Steve already.
>
> We didn't talk much about the technical stuff, as overall policy was the
> priority.  I want to start this part here.
>
> My requirements for building the images would be:
> - one set of tools used for all images
> - result includes not only images, but also tars
> - images are built only using the tar as input
> - optional utilize current Linux features like user namespaces

I don't get your thing about tar. Can you explain why we should use tar?

On 03/29/2016 04:27 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> See Riku's talk at DebConf Heidelberg - there are many tools and
> it would be generally better for customized tools to give way to
> generalist tools which can use wrappers or enhancements to provide the
> remaining functionality.

I don't agree. Better for what? Specialized tools do what they do well.
Generalist tools are over-engineered. To the contrary,
openstack-debian-images is composed of a unique, very small shell
script, easy to hack.

Every author of the same purpose scripts trying to take over
openstack-debian-images every 2nd week. Please don't.

And by the way, if we were to use a generalist tools, I'd certainly vote
for diskimage-builder, which really, does a lot (really a lot) and is
really modular. If there's one tool to work on so it becomes *the*
generalist solution, then it's that one.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)