Re: AWS Run Command - packaging, adding to Debian images

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Tomasz Rybak <tomasz.rybak@post.pl> wrote:
> Hello.
> Recently AWS released EC2 Run Command:
> http://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/ec2-run-command-update-manage-share-com
> mands-and-more/
> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-ec2-run-command-remote-instance-ma
> nagement-at-scale/
>
> It allows for running commands defined in documents - reducing need to
> have SSH on instance. It is done by having agent running in OS and
> waiting for commands. Agent is Open Source:
> https://github.com/aws/amazon-ssm-agent

Not "Open Source". See list of OSI approved licenses. [1]

> I'm not sure how DFSG-free is this licence:
> https://github.com/aws/amazon-ssm-agent/blob/master/LICENSE
>  - haven't read it diligently enough.
>
> IMO it would be good to package it, upload into Debian (if licence is
> DFSG) and install in official images.
> Agent is written in Go - I do not have any experience with it. Any
> tips? Also - any comments regarding this idea?

Quick review, not DFSG compliant. There are use restrictions. I can't
imagine this being included as part of any official images, unless this is
resolved.

-Brian

P.S. - Amazon has been pretty good of late about using DFSG compatible
licenses, so this seems to be a bit of a regression.

[1] - https://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical