Re: NoCloud cloud-init datasource

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry I'm not following.  I had a poke around the /etc/cloud/* of an instance to see what was there and notice that in one of the files there is a list of enabled datasources.  Is this what you're referring to?  As far as I'm aware (I could be completely wrong, I haven't delved too far deep into the inner workings of all of this yet - though i have read pertinent bits of the cloud-init source) the datasources can (or do?) work in series so that for example if no NoCloud drive is mounted then cloud-init will go to the next datasource.  At least that's how I've seen it work on all the other distributions I've tried this with.  Again, I could be completely wrong and have entirely misunderstood.
The former is right - its a list of data sources; which ideally enabling a source in a cloud image for a specific cloud that that image is not for is probably incorrect although most of the time you just see a large delay in boot or in reboot (or both) as it times out after long period of trying to hit that 169.foo. The issue sometimes is that the image is not specific to a cloud but a hypervisor or can work independent of hypervisor due to the support in the kernel (its more about the image format) - the problem there how do you cater for this unless providing a slightly different image per cloud/virtual env?

In terms of the latter, I'm not quite sure the process with our it works etc. but I assume it works with the relevant modules for each data source in each phase in kind of like a compilation.

With all that said though we still don't have a link or ref to the particular image you are referring to :)

Cliff Rowley
Thinker, Tinkerer, Dork
@cliffrowley