Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso

(3/3) Reiser4 version 4.0.1 -enabled patches for Debian Installer
components and/or userland utilities:

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Jose R R <Jose.r.r@metztli-it.com> wrote:
> Niltze, all-
>
> I have been building iterations of Debian-Installer (d-i) enhanced
> with Reiser4 4.0.1 kernel, disk and filesystem utilities. Thus far I
> have used a local build on Debian Sid of VirtualBox 5.0.10 environment
> to test multiple Reiser4 installations.
>
> For flexibility, especially if you are testing in a VM, the following
> d-i options may help:
>
> -Network-console: continue installation remotely using SSH
> -Openssh-client-udeb: secure shell client for the Debian installer
>
> Now:
>
> d-i offers three(3) choices:
>
> Jessie (stable)
> Stretch (testing)
> Sid (unstable)
>
> I have verified that *all* can be installed from my custom Reiser4
> d-i; Nevertheless Jessie (stable) needs access to testing and/or
> unstable repositories added at /etc/apt/sources.list in order to
> fulfill dependencies of the unstable kernel in my d-i. Jessie (stable)
> also needs to have newer Reiser4 4.0.1 packages because d-i downloads
> the older (stable) version. I have covered *all* of Jessie conditions
> by building newer unstable versions of its requirements. The downside
> of it is that a user needs to manually intervene at the shell,
> possibly at the expert level.
>
> As for Stretch and Sid, manual intervention is required only to modify
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file by adding at the end:
>
> crc32c_intel
> reiser4
>
> *before* installing the custom Reiser4 kernel, thus:
> dpkg -i linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.deb
>
> so that initramfs can be appropriately updated *before* rebooting the
> new Reiser4 installation.
>
> Note that GRUBX does not support booting from /boot Reiser4
> filesystem; accordingly, a small partition must be provisioned for
> booting into a Reiser4 -formatted root (/) partition. The d-i
> partman-reiser4 will format Reiser4 partitions thus:
>
> mkfs.reiser4 -yo "create=reg40" <your selected partition>
>
> Additionally, user may want to provision a /tmp in a non-Reiser4
> partition if the intention is to run MariaDB (MySQL) because -- at the
> very least -- the DB will complain about /tmp issues if it is
> formatted in Reiser4 --personal experience ;-)
>
> With the above said and warning that this is an alpha effort *without*
> any explicit and/or implied guarantee that will be risk-free, here is
> the current yield of of Reiser4 effort:
>
> Reiser4 -enabled Debian-Installer (d-i) netboot mini.iso renamed as:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral//metztli_it-reiser4_d-i.iso
>
> Reiser4 -enabled kernel & modules.README_1st:
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/linux-image-4.3.0-1-amd64_4.3.3-5_amd64.tar
>
> Reiser4 -enabled Debian GNU Parted packages (install at the end of
> installation procedure); please note that those packages under
> reiser4-parted_3.2-12/misc are optional):
> http://metztli.it/readOnlyEphemeral/reiser4-parted_3.2-12.tar
> [...]

Reiser4 4.0.1 -enabled Reiser4progs utilities to manage Reiser4 4.0.1
derived creation, formatting, and partitioning. In addition to
generating the desired userland utilities for Debian (which are
already in Stretch & Sid debian repos), it creates UDEBs suitable for
inclusion in a Reiser4 4.0.1 -enabled Debian-Installer (d-i)

Patch inclueded in repo:
https://github.com/Metztli/debian-installer-reiser4progs

and attached patch below:

Best Professional Regards