Re: (more) debian docker images, cloud image optimisations

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:45:21PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> Hi,

Heyya Jonathan!

> In the last couple of months I've been working with Docker. I read Joey Hess'
> blog post[1] on the subject which I found very interesting, in particular his
> advice "I'd recommend only trusting docker images you build yourself.". So I
> prepared a basic Dockerfile to build such images, and shared that[2,3].

/usr/share/docker.io/contrib/mkimage-debootstrap.sh creates the official
Debian images, and is shipped with your local docker.io install from
Debian.

Easy to just run that if you want local images you build yourself. As I
do.

> I agreed with Joey that images named 'debian' should be 'Debian' and much of
> the docker customisations to their 'debian' images might be suprising to
> people, so the scripts/Dockerfiles I prepared are as close to pristine as
> possible.

"Meh". They're documented, and I found the critisism overblown. I'm sure
tianon would welcome changes to debianize the changes, so you can dpkg
--purge the changes.

> However, for executing in a docker/cloud/container environment, some of the
> changes they make do make a lot of sense. E.g. turning off caching, including
> disk caching (unsafe-io), etc.: since the mantra is, if a container fails,
> start a new one. There are other optimisations they *don't* make that we could
> potentially do, as I mention in my blog post, such as some of the things that
> the emdebian project did.
>
> Some of these changes are no doubt useful in other cloud contexts other than
> Docker. (no doubt other cloud images make such changes).
>
> I think it would be useful if we as a project could choose a name for a 'cloud'
> debian flavour, which incorporated some of these changes, so people could use
> it and not be surprised when e.g. translations were missing, or unsafe-io was
> on, or documentation wasn't present, etc.

I asked this question like 2 years ago, and no one cared. So I did it
upstream. Script is shipped in your apt-get'd binary package

> Thoughts?
>

> [1] http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/docker_run_debian/
> [2] http://jmtd.net/log/debian_docker/
> [3] https://github.com/jmtd/debian-docker/
>
> --
> Jonathan Dowland

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87