Re: (more) debian docker images, cloud image optimisations

Hi Jonathan

>> However, for executing in a docker/cloud/container environment, some of the
>> changes they make do make a lot of sense. E.g. turning off caching, including
>> disk caching (unsafe-io), etc.: since the mantra is, if a container fails,
>> start a new one. There are other optimisations they *don't* make that we could
>> potentially do, as I mention in my blog post, such as some of the things that
>> the emdebian project did.
>>
>> Some of these changes are no doubt useful in other cloud contexts other than
>> Docker. (no doubt other cloud images make such changes).

We faced the same question when starting to work on official debian
images for Vagrant. In the end I choosed simply to document on the
debian wiki where the Vagrant image differs from a `tasksel standard`
installation [1]

As a user installing a cloud image, I want both to have debian standard
practices *and* the cloud provider best practises in terms of size,
default packages, speed optimization. So as long as we document what we
did, allows end user to reproduce it, we should not be afraid to change
the default stuff IMHO.

BTW on the docker registry debian page, it is mentionned the docker
images are built from this repository:
https://github.com/docker-library/official-images
For which side are these images official ? Debian, Docker, or both ?

Thx

Emmanuel

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Cloud/VagrantBaseBoxes#Content