Re: hvm-s3 EC2 images

On 5 March 2015 at 02:22, Guillaume Plessis <gui@moolfreet.com> wrote:
Hey guys,

thanks for providing official Wheezy and Jessie images for Amazon EC2.

Because HVM is the way to go on EC2 these days and because I don’t want to rely on EBS disks for most of my instances, I’d like to know the status of HVM-S3 images for Wheezy and Jessie (my searches on this subject returned mixed signals) :
  - are they still being worked on?
  - what are the technical stoppers?
  - how can I help?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

--
Gui

Hello Guillaume

Yes, I am working on getting HVM images going.
Currently the showstopper is getting integration testing working fully (https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/tree/wip-integration-testing).
With that in place I can start to test all possible combinations of EC2 AMI setups, this has worked very well for virtualbox, where almost every single manifest parameter combination is now working (the three dimensions are distribution, partitioning type and bootloader. "almost" because grub install on squeeze does not work, but that's it).
Given the success with the stability of vbox image bootstrapping on that branch, I'd like to do the same for EC2 images. I've just been quite busy, so I've had little time to finish the work I've started.
If you'd like to help, I can push the initial work on EC2 integration testing so that we can work on it in concert.

Kind regards
Anders Ingemann