Re: AWS EC2 Jessie preparations: Deprecating i386. Deprecating PVM.

On 4/11/2014 8:56 AM, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM, James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to> wrote:
>>
> Second, with all current-generation instance types being HVM capable, I am
> going to suggest we no longer generate Paravirtualisation images, . The
> current-generation instance types are generally cheaper and/or more
resource
> (memory, CPU) than the previous-generation PVM-only instances, so users
> pretty quickly want only HVM amd64 across their entire set of instances.
>
> > There are still reasons to run the older generation instances, so I'd
> > be hesitant to completely drop them before AWS announces the
> > retirement of the HW. That said, I don't know how much work is
> > involved in building/maintaining them. Nor do I have inside
> > information on when support for the 1st generation HW will be
> > retired.

Thanks for the feedback Brian!

It's not a lot of work, but it is additional choice confusion when
trying to find the correct AMI. However, I do suspect that anyone with a
Reserved Instance over a longer period (3 years) for an instance type
that is PVM may want this, so lets perhaps continue AMD64 PVM EBS-backed
then. And if we can't get HVM S3 backed, then PVM S3 backed?

> So what's missing?
> * cfn-init, cfn-signal, cfn-hub tools for CloudFormation [9] would be
one on
> my wish list.
>
> > Agreed. If I'm not mistaken they were released with a DFSG compliant
license,
> > and packaging should be straightforward for an experienced DD?
> > (Apache 2.0).

Sadly, I haven't had time... but volunteers welcome!! Yes, Apache
software license, so is DFSG compatible.

> * Base image with the non-free nvidia drivers pre-installed for the g2 (GPU)
> instance type[10] - I have tested this by manually installing the
> drivers[11] using nvidia-kernel-dkms but not scripted it or produced
Debian
> blessed images already containing this.
>
> > I'd think it would be concerned if we released these as "official",
especially
> > if the drivers can be installed after instance instantiation.

Indeed; its inconvenient to install from nvidia-kernel-dkms as it
depends on (a) installing compilers, (b) network access to fetch source,
and (c) spending time compiling! However, another option I haven't yet
tested - nouveau.

   James

- --
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to