Re: We might have the GPU instances able to run

Dnia 2014-06-01, nie o godzinie 11:45 +0200, Anders Ingemann pisze:
[ cut ]

> I do not fully understand what's going on during normal execution,
>
> so please point some missing points.
>

> > Just before GRUB installation remount is called on main volume.
> > It unmounts all partitions from that volume, then calls unmap, then
> calls link_dm_node which calls dmsetup, than calls map, and mounts
> volume.
>

> Exactly. For NBDs and loopback volumes, this is necessary when using
> grub 1.99, because grub tries to be smart about things and then trips
> over its own feet.
> To avoid that, we fool grub into thinking that the mounted volume and
> it's partitions are just on a normal HDD.

OK, I was using Debian unstable with GRUB 2.02 so I should repeat
tests with GRUB 1.99.

> > It all somehow works with _before_* and _after_* methods, and gets
> dispatched using events arrsy, but I do not see all interdependencies
> here.
>

> There is a custom class FSMProxy, which proxies calls on the class
> into the fsm class. This is mostly done because I didn't code all the
> state machines for volume and partition handling in one go. I'm sure
> it can be simplified, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It seems that I cannot avoid getting familiar with fysom...

> > I did not see any dmsetup call in logs though.
>

> I'm sure you just overlooked them, they're there somewhere :-)
>

> > Basically - the only choice between failure and
>
> > success is link target in /dev/mapper/xvd*1.
> > If it points to dm-* - grub install fails.
> > If it points to xvd*1 - grub install succeeds.
>

> You can achieve that without undoing the links. Just remove this
> line (and the one further down that remounts without the links).

I see - I'll try few more experiments.

Thanks for all the pointers.
Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860