Re: Debian Wheezy images for OpenStack in HP cloud

Hi Thomas,

> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded an up-to-date Wheezy image using the
> build-openstack-images package currently available in Wheezy. Here's the
> IDs:
>
> region-a.geo-1:
> 4f3a6b69-dd27-4ad1-8307-def66c436f8c
>
> region-b.geo-1:
> 9c86049c-06cf-4f96-ba46-1eba57cc65ff
>
> These images have the public flag, so they are available for everyone.
> They are up-to-date regarding security updates.

Very cool! Thanks for doing this.

I noticed that /dev/vdb doesn't get mounted automatically. This is due to the 'nobootwait' mount option in /etc/fstab which Debian doesn't understand (it's an Ubuntu extension). You need to add the following line to /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg:
mount_default_fields: [~, ~, 'auto', 'defaults,nofail', '0', '2']

- architecture=x86_64 (I'm actually surprised that the image boots without this. The scheduler uses this property to find a node that supports the image's architecture. I guess there's a sane default...)

And the following are required if you want users of the management console (manage.hpcloud.com) to be able to use the image:
- com.hp__1__bootable_volume=true
- com.hp__1__image_lifecycle=active
- com.hp__1__image_type=disk
- com.hp__1__os_distro=debian

You might also want to consider to protect the image (glance image-update <ID> --is-protected=true) so that it can't be deleted accidentally. Although I trust you not to do that :-)

Best
...Juerg