Re: Bug#746394: Please consider shipping pre-built images in Debian packages
- To: debian-cloud <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Bug#746394: Please consider shipping pre-built images in Debian packages
- From: Chris Fordham <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 18:26:04 +1000
- Message-id: <CAPPd46TvWFfXGhv+rm+joL9bdfA3o1AJhhbEhn25qx9WXCWSvw@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <CAMcOGXHjnkkNOq=0QwMTNSNr9yhB5yDbW4OVR_ZD6Che-KQGfQ@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <20140429163834.10462.11341.reportbug@gyllingar> <20140429174644.GA31120@helios.pault.ag> <536004B5.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20140430182114.GA26081@alice.nomadium.lan> <CAPPd46QzEUFtc7SGiVYLP+xuVwqzjQ=-TXf14cq5+Fx5M+E2UQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAMcOGXHjnkkNOq=0QwMTNSNr9yhB5yDbW4OVR_ZD6Che-KQGfQ@mail.gmail.com>
Packer is not debian specific and it has a community.
I think the question should be flipped and ask why did we need to make our own bespoke project to build machine images?...
Building images is not something specific to Debian nor 'Debian Cloud'. Shouldn't we adopt some kind of framework that is more globally supported?
Additionally, reading the name, it doesn't appear to be about images, but rather bootstrapping something in virtualization.