Re: GCE bootstrap-vz generated image test

Dnia 2014-02-27, czw o godzinie 14:21 +0100, olivier sallou pisze:
> Hi,
> I made a very quick test on a generated GCE image.
>

> It boots ;-)

I'm always glad when someone confirms that my code works ;-)

> I will test soon reboots, save as and restart etc...
>

> One remark:
>

> the hostname of the instance is the name of the host where the image
> was generated.
> It should be set to the GCE instance name.

Fixed :-)

On more serious note, I've just pushed some changes in gce branch.
The most important changes are:
 * moving packages and apt repositories from manifest to plugins
 * adding ability to use or not use kernels from backports, with
manifest option
 * adding parameters with NTP server name to manifest
 * disabling IPv6
 * and... setting host name

There are still some missing things.
Most important is problem with GRUB terminal output.
When I set it, just like in old script, to
"serial --unit=0 --speed=38400 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1"
I got error from grub-update.
I found some old GRUB error:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/490451
and after analysing /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig in line 172
the only accepted strings in GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT are:
gfxterm, console, serial, ofconsole.
I've commented out appropriate  line in providers/gce/tasks/boot.py
I'm not sure what to do with it - there was some output from
"gcutil getserialportoutput" but it seemed cut in the middle.

Another problem I've left is naming image file.
It is to late to call lsb_release at the moment of compressing
disk image. That's why original scripts gathered appropriate
data in the middle, in 40-get-release-info, and use it in
75-compress-image.
Will it be OK, and future proof, to store data in info object?

Other than that GCE branch starts looking really nice.
The only things that are missing from original scripts
are removal of Google apt repository and image registration.

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak  GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860