Re: Status GCE images and trademark (was Please let's not talk about "clouds")

One more point: Part of our strategy is to include debian package
repositories hosted inside of Google, and it'd be lovely to see those
as a "first tier" mirror for Debian, so that we're in on the "ground
floor" for updates.  Our current approach has some VMs set up to do
the mirroring, so I think that we can set things up so that things
just work.

-david

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM, David McWherter <cache@google.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> available in Google Compute Engine, but it won't be solved in the next month
>> or two, by which point we hope to have properly publicized these images and
>> have users using them.
>>
>> 2) As I understand it, people in Debian are already packaging
>> build-debian-cloud (f/k/a ec2debian-build-ami) for jessie. This is great.
>> While gcutil and gsutil are free software, the pace of development is such
>> that more thought is probably warranted on what the ideal situation is for
>> their packaging and where such packaging would live. If David and/or I make
>> it to DebConf13, this could be one of many fruitful topics of discussion. As
>> with point 1, we're hoping to publicize these quite soon, so any packaging
>> would necessarily happen some time after we properly announce these and gain
>> users, not before.
>>
>> My hope is that neither of these is a blocker for official Debian status.
>> Either way, I would encourage the policy for official Debian images to be
>> documented somewhere other than email archives, and for the parts of the
>> policymaking which don't involve attorney-client privileged communications
>> to occur on relevant public Debian lists like this one. :)
>>
>> As for who publishes: My work on this is part of my day job, but that
>> doesn't mean it isn't in keeping with my role as a Debian developer as well.
>> Plenty of other non-DD Googlers are helping generally with this effort as
>> part of their day jobs, but so far I'm the only one who has made images for
>> the debian-cloud project. If Debian prefers only DDs to make these images,
>> it shouldn't be a problem, especially if DD volunteers are interested so
>> that I'm not a bottleneck. I will definitely send out a call for volunteers
>> email, since nobody has yet reacted to that bit of my debian-cloud
>> announcement email. (Any DDs reading this: feel free to volunteer!)
>>
>> - Jimmy
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Jimmy,
>>>
>>> James Bromberger, a DD was is an employee of Amazon, is currently
>>> solely responsible for maintaining the "official" EC2 images. He does
>>> this with his "Debian hat" on.
>>>
>>> I believe, if you were willing to maintain the GCE images yourself,
>>> with or without other DDs helping you, you should be able to work out
>>> an arrangement that you are the (or one of the) maintainer(s) of
>>> "Official Debian images" for GCE. From reading back through email
>>> archives, it's clear that there is an expectation that DDs need to
>>> build and maintain "Official" images.
>>>
>>> If you wanted to follow this route there are still a couple of bugs
>>> that probably should be filed and addressed:
>>>
>>> 1) Custom kernel required -- I don't know if this is a show stopper
>>> bug, or perhaps it could be addressed in the mean time by a custom GCE
>>> kernel package that is included in Debian, and built and mantained by
>>> 2) Packages being created for the tools required to handle instance