Re: Official Debian image request: Google Compute Engine (was: Re: Please let's not talk about "clouds")

Niltze, all!

Being interested in Debian cloud instances and having deployed/used Debian on different providers, including CloudSigma, RackSpace, HPCloud, & SingleHop, I was quite interested in this thread.

As wheezy release approaches, I tried to give the Google Compute (Cloud) Engina a spin.

I git cloned the repo at https://github.com/google/build-debian-cloud in a machine with Debian Wheeze/Sid and:

./build-debian-cloud gce --codename wheezy --filesystem xfs --timezone PST --name Metztli

The image builds, so I assume it works as well. Did not try it because GCE requires a $400 investment up front.

From my perspective an elastic cloud fabric that enables virtualized instances to be migrated to-and-from the users' local/personal computer (and not only from a private/hybrid cloud in an enterprise datacenter) to the public cloud of a vendor would be would be 'cool'.

Anyhow, the code from your gitHub repo for the AWS & GCE Debian effort builds a debian-wheezy-20130504.tar.gz file containing a disk.raw image.

I like the fact that Debian is being deployed on leading edge technology paradigms as the cloud.

Best Professional Regards.