build-debian-cloud plugin to build instance-store based AMIs

Hi,

First I'd like to thank everyone who worked on build-debian-cloud, it has really become a fantastic tool since I last used it (probably 1-2 years ago).

I just created a pull request[1] on github to add a new plugin that creates instance-store based AMIs instead of EBS based ones. That plugin structure is really sweet and I didn't have to change any code outside of this plugin.

Everyone interested in trying this out can use the 'instance-store-ami-plugin' branch on my repo[2].

I already created amd64 and i386 instances with Debian WHeezy in all AWS regions (debian-wheezy-amd64-20130501-instance-store and debian-wheezy-i386-20130501-instance-store) using this plugin (see list below). Is there someplace I could publish this list? I also plan to make and publish new ones with every Wheezy release.

There are some issues with this plugin that may need discussing:

- It requires euca2ools version 2.x because the commands that handle image bundles are buggy in version 1.x.

- These euca2ools in turn require python-boto >= 2.2 which is currently available in squeeze-backports (2.3) and will be the default version in Wheezy.

- The bundling and image uploading to Amazon S3 requires additional parameters. Since plugins can't add parameters to the main script, I used environment variables. It also requires that some key and certificates be present in files on the system.

- The plugin files is a bit messy. It could actually use a "replace_task" function to clean it up because it does a lot of removing and adding similar tasks.

Of course I welcome any feedback on this code and am very much open to suggestions on how to improve it.

Christian

[1]https://github.com/andsens/build-debian-cloud/pull/66
[2]https://github.com/camptocamp/build-debian-cloud.git

--
Debian Wheezy AMIs with instance-store root device
(built May 1st 2013)

us-east-1 (N. Virginia)
amd64: ami-a9cba9c0
i386 ami-25cba94c