Azure support

Hi again, as mentioned [1] when announcing this list, Amazon is not the
only public cloud on which people have been working to get Debian
support. In fact, the initiating factor of this list have been inquiries
from Debian Developers interested in having Debian support for
Microsoft's Windows Azure cloud.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/11/msg00000.html

On the bureaucratic/political front, I've discussed at length with
Gianugo Rabellino (Cc:-ed) who is a senior director at Microsoft working
on reaching out to FOSS communities. On the Microsoft side they haven't
yet figured out exactly the paperwork that would be needed for
developers who will work on the Debian images, but there is progress.
I'll keep you posted of evolutions on that front. In the meantime, if
you are a Debian Developer and you'd be interested in taking
responsibility for updating the Azure images (similarly to what James
has done for the AWS marketplace), please get in touch with me.

On the technical front, Pierre Couzy (Cc:-ed) and other interested
people from Hupstream have already worked on various aspects needed to
make Debian work on Azure, and are already pushing them for integration
into Debian proper (see for instance
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=690978 ).

I don't have myself a clear overview of what has already been done and
what is still missing, but Pierre has kindly agreed to provide a report
to this list. So I'd better leave the mic to him :)

Cheers.

PS: Pierre, Gianugo: I've Cc:-ed you explicitly but also set
    mail-followup-to the -cloud list, to avoid excessive SPAM-ing :) If
    you're interested in following Azure related discussions further,
    please consider joining -cloud
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .