Re: Reading archives..

> 3) Very happy to see cloud-init support being added to Debian
Charles Plessy is working on that, but as I understand he is a bit out of his depth with python, so it might take some time to port it.

> 4) Are we going to be adding the ec2 cli tools to the AMIs?
This could be troublesome. With the speed of development at AWS the tools could quickly be outdated if we simply add them.
Packaging them would require some major updates every time amazon adds new features.
I really believe 4+5 should be left to the user-data script.

> 6) Now that EC2 supports overriding the default root EBS volume size,

doing a conditional resize2fs upon boot is incredibly useful.
That's a great idea! This can easily be achieved with an init.d script.
It will need to be in two version, one for xfs and the other for ext* (but that's mostly for the bootstrapping script, the final image will simply have resize2fs for ext4)

> 7) So in addition to 32 bit EBS and 64 bit EBS we are going to want to
> maintain a number of other permutations in each region.
The script currently only supports EBS backed AMIs. It would take a little while to get them working with instance stores.
What exactly is HVM? H=Hybrid?

> 8) AWS services change during the life of a stable release, I believe
> we are going to have to consider how to allow some EC2 specific
> packages to get updated beyond just security patches.
How do you propose we do this. A simple init script that downloads the packages on boot?

> 9) Not sure I understand the security issue that required the AMIs to
> be pulled. Is there an explanation somewhere that I missed?
Nothing serious, the images still contained the ssh private host keys, because I didn't shred them. It also looked like AWS credentials were written to disk, which turned out not to be the case.