Re: Debian Images on Amazon Web Services (resent)

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 10:02:34PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> <TL;DR>
> Official AWS EC2 AMI images under-way; please test and give feedback:
> search AMIs for "379101102735/debian-squeeze". Stable only. SSH as
> "ec2-user". SSH keys only. UserData shell script support. Feedback wanted!
> </TL;DR>

Hear, hear! Testing/feedback very welcome!

> I have been coordinating between Debian (as I am a DD - jeb@debian.org)
> and Amazon Web Services (as I have recently started working there -
> jameseb@amazon.com) to create what can become official Debian images on
> AWS, with the blessing of our Debian  leader (Stefano)

Correct. To expand a bit more on this, as I've mentioned in [1] I've
been approached by Amazon representatives interested in having official
Debian AMIs in their "AWS marketplace". This is different than the usual
"AMI soup" where you've to search for AMI matching, say, the "Debian"
string and trust whoever prepared them. In the AWS marketplace they
offer OS images that are supposedly prepared by the OS vendors and
wanted to know if Debian is interested to be part of them.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/11/msg00000.html

My general take on this is that, if we have users interested in running
Debian on public clouds, we should support them. As mentioned in [2], I
think it would be better for them to deploy their own cloud, but that's
not something that everyone could do. So if they have to stick to a so
called "public cloud", they are better off running Debian there than
some less Free OS.

[2]: http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120425

Amazon is just one of the public cloud out there, and on that front I
think we should not discriminate one for another. We'll simply follow
the traditional Debian model: we'll support as much public clouds out
there as we have interested developers in doing the corresponding work.

In the specific case of Amazon, James has done a lot of work. He has
worked both on the technical side (preparing the images you've seen
mentioned by him on this list), and on the political side (helping me in
the conversations with the management at Amazon). The current status is
something like this:

- at the technical level, we need feedback! the images look good, but
  the more eyeballs the better. Please test them and let this list know
  of your findings: please post both positive and negative experiences,
  so that we know who has tested what :)

- at the political level, before going live we'll need to accept the AWS
  terms of services, which essentially ask for some responsibility
  waiver (e.g. if we upload malware on purpose via the AWS, we'll be
  responsible for that!) and ask us to offer Debian via AWS at the same
  conditions we offer it on other distribution channels (which of course
  we wanted to do anyhow).  James has volunteered to accept the AWS
  terms of services on behalf of Debian, and I'm happy to delegate to
  him that responsibility

Once we're ready, I think we should also announce this via the usual
Debian communication channels (i.e. -news), highlighting various things:

- the creation of this discussion place
- the availability of Debian on AWS
- the fact that we do not want to special case any specific public
  cloud, and the invite for others to join this list and work on
  supporting others

If the image testing goes well, it looks like we will be ready pretty
soon, like in a week or so. If you've comments on this roadmap, please
voice them!

> Further background: I have created an AWS account on behalf of Debian,
> and will grant access to any DD who wants access to create images and
> help maintain the project. I plan to also give read only access to every
> DD once we have sorted out authentication federation between the Debian
> LDAP sever and AWS's Security Token Service (STS) facility (any
> volunteers?). if you would like to actively jump in, please let me know.

Hear, hear! James is de facto leading this because he has stepped in and
done the work. If you want to join, you're more than welcome, just step
in :-)

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .