Mono 2.6 Transition Plan for Debian/Squeeze

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:28:15 +0200
Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:

> 2) Which transitions are left for squeeze?  What's their current
> state?
>    - mono: mail to debian-release@ to be sent  [assignee: meebey]

Initially (around November/December) we (the Debian Mono Group) planned
to ship Mono 2.4.* with Squeeze as that was the LTS (long term support)
release of upstream. The following months we still prepared 2.6
packages for debian/experimental as a low priority for post-squeeze joy.
Starting with Mono 2.6.7 upstream extended LTS to include 2.6.7.

The LTS is very important for a Debian/Stable releases as upstream
maintains the branch for critical issues such as security issues.
At the same time Mono 2.6 has reached better architecture support
compared to 2.4, especially for armel.

On Mono 2.4.4 (which is in testing and unstable), 41 runtime tests fail
out of 323 tests.
On Mono 2.6.7 (which is in exp), 7 runtime tests fail out of 373 tests.
Other architectures don't show significant changes.

The packages 2.6.7 in Debian/Experimental have been receiving
extensive testing for about 3 months and has not shown regressions.
Around 20k users are known to consume these packages (through an
external repository that is provided by Jo Shields a member of the
Debian Mono Group). Also Ubuntu/maverick includes our packages from
debian/experimental without showing any open issues for their
release.

So what needs to be done for squeeze-ing the best out of Mono?

Mono 2.6 consists out of the following source packages that need to be
uploaded to unstable (after this plan was approved by the release team)
and also freeze exceptions granted once they are in unstable:

gluezilla 			2.6-1
libgdiplus			2.6.7-1
mod-mono 			2.6.3-2
mono 				2.6.7-2
mono-basic			2.6.2-1
mono-debugger			2.6.3-1
mono-tools			2.6.2-2
monodevelop			2.4+dfsg-1
monodevelop-debugger-gdb	2.4-1
monodevelop-debugger-mdb	2.4-1
monodevelop-python		2.4-1
monodevelop-vala		2.4-1
xsp				2.6.5-1

Will this break reverse dependencies?
No, there are no ABI changes over 2.4.4, only new API definitions and
with that raised shlibs/clilibs. Nothing needs to be rebuild.
I have been using a lot of Mono applications from unstable for the past
3 months and everything works as it should with the Mono packages out of
experimental.

PS: even though monodevelop's version is 2.4, that one matches the mono
2.6 runtime.

--
Regards,

Mirco Bauer