Re: Fwd: SONAME for python modules is bad?

On Sat Jul 25 11:28, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Max Bowsher<maxb@f2s.com> wrote:
> >> It would be extremely nice too if all wrap language would adopt the
> >> same convention. So that toolkit such as VTK/ITK/GDCM wrapping their
> >> interface into multiple languages (namely: Tcl, Python, Java, C#)
> >> could simply decide:
> >> (1) Allow SONAME
> >> (2) Use a directory convention libfoo-$SOVERSION/$NAME.so
> >>
> >> for packaging mutiple modules.
> >
> > It is unclear to me what you are trying to standardize.
>
> How does one install multiple version of the same python/java/cli module ?

(speaking for Java) At the moment, you don't. However, it's on the
agenda for our BoF later this week at debconf. I'd like to see a
coherent plan for transitions (wrt modules in Java).

When it comes to glue; generally it's assumed that the same source
package will be building both the java side of the glue and the C side,
so there's no need to SONAME it for that. However, if we want parallel
installable versions of the java library, that naming needs to extend to
all of files shipped in the library.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson