Re: Cinnamon 4.2, salsa and master branch

Hi Fabio,

> yes, I would like to see any open bugs closed :P (dreaming is lawful)

Hahaha, I was going through some bugs and closed already some today!

> About x-cinnamon-mimeapps.list I think is good take a look and see if
> other fix/improvements are needed and also if other improvements to
> cinnamon-desktop-environment can be done.

Ok, I will check the other .desktop files for their existence.

Time necessary: a few minutes

> - from 2.2 is missed a gui language settings...
> any idea on how to fast add an easy gui language selection in cinnamon
> on debian?

I looked into it, I wrote about it. It is not trivial and needs a lot of
mint code ported. I don't see an easy way to do this. It is definitely
possible to be ported, but that needs time.

Time necessary: a few days I guess, but not really sure

> - about fallback session there is any idea on how to improve/solve?

The code in cinnamon.git/files/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher
already checks for
	mate-panel
	gnome-panel
	tint2
Which other should we add?
	xfce-panel
	lxpanel
	plank (all for it, the one I use)
there are **many** found when searching for "panel" with apt-cache.

We could alternatively use a ~/.fallback-panel and try to exec that?

So besides checking for more available panels, I think there is nothing
one can do...

Time necessary: after deciding which panel, a few minutes

> start without extensions/applets was reject upstream
> github com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/5339

Not easy. I looked into the code. We could hook into
	js/ui/extensionSystem.js:init()
or
	js/ui/main.js
which does
	    Promise.all([
	        AppletManager.init(),
	        ExtensionSystem.init(),
	        DeskletManager.init(),
	        SearchProviderManager.init()
	    ]).then(function() {
and block calls to the inits of some of them under problematic
conditions. But how do we detect that?

Needs lots more discussion, but can be done.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev