Re: Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support

Hello Branden,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 09:50:00PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [Apologies for private mail to so many people.]

I am doing the same, so, my apologies too.  :-)

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:04:19AM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > If I understand your description correctly this option is never harmful but
> > very useful for some setups. Don't you think that the Debian setup should
> > pass this option per default? In that case please ask Branden if he can
> > do that (or file a bug, severity wishlist, on xserver-common).
>
> -deferglyph 16 has been in place in the default /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file
> for quite a while.

Yes, we know.  (Thanks, BTW!)  As you may have read from other posts, from
Debian JP developers, the suggestion is to make "startx" uses "-deferglyphs
16" by default too, because the people running into problem with xfs-xtt &
xserver are the ones who run X manually with startx and didn't know they
needed to use "startx -- -deferglyphs 16".

The suggestion from SANO-san is to modify /usr/X11R6/bin/startx,
whereas the suggestion from ISHIKAWA-san is to
"#define DEFAULT_GLYPH_CACHING_MODE CACHE_16_BIT_GLYPHS"
in fonts.h.  Their messages were posted to debian-x@lists.debian.org,
so you've probably read them already.  Methinks both of these are excellent
ideas, so, take your pick, or heaven forbids, let's do both!  ;-)

> I am adding "deferglyphs = 16" to the default xfs config file for 3.3.6-10.

Hey, that would be a nice idea!  :-)  Although the 16bit CJK PCF fonts aren't
anywhere as huge as the TrueType ones, it would definitely make loading
those PCF fonts faster.  :-)  Thanks!

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada