Re: cut and paste for chinese in x window system

just a quick reply. i'm happy here's friends to talk with. ;)

(snip)

(hashao) The thing is how do you have the client know when to paste.
(hashao) Okey, the middle-mouse key is an convention for this but it
(hashao) is just a convention. Some application might use ctrl-v
(hashao) (okey, it is a MS convention) and ctrl-insert could be also a
(hashao) reasonable convention. If you don't tell the client to
(hashao) 'fetchbuffter', the 'cut' can never get pasted.

first, this is my big headache, so obvious i don't have good idea
on this. but the user interface _policy_ is determinded by _user_
not by any applications. IIRC. and accroding to

$ man xclipboard

seems there's a way to determine the key-button policy _indeed_, just
i can't figure it out. :( if you can help, i will be overwhelminged. ;)
the middle mouse button is _yup_ just a convention, but it seems
that user really don't need to use this convention, it just need to
use a _universal_ convention. ;) I don't care iff user use _a_
convention all the way through, then, bingo! ;) Guess this won't be
a big deal. ;)

(hashao) Beside, why string type cannot be used for Chinese
(hashao) charactors?  There should be not special treatement on pasted
(hashao) strings. Could you tell us what happened? " the problem is
(hashao) that CUT_BUFFER0 is a string type, can't being used to
(hashao) describe chinese character, japanese..." is not very clear to
(hashao) me. Maybe some applications do char-conversion internally
(hashao) (like xcin use unicode as internal encoding scheme, of course
(hashao) xcin is not used in this approach, just an example), so that
(hashao) could be one of the problems.

I have to admit i'm a newbie on this, and seemes i'm totally wrong here.
my original meaning here is that, according to icccm, (it is just too
complicated, so i have to reference manuals, not just my coding tests.)
the STRING type is encoded in a ISO.... anywyas, i don't know anything
here. i'll check back tomorrow, hopefully. (wish i could get a good
job today. ;) )

(snip)

(hashao) Whatever cut-n-paste buffer is used is a client
(hashao) implementation.  Debian or X does not force any of them.

guess that isn't the case. ;) you could read it on ICCCM, that will
`definitely be antisocial'. ;) surely xeyes has no need to support
cut-n-paste, but i'd bet every people will like to see gimp and
netscape and gnumeric and emacs to support cut-n-paste.
if it don't, we'd need to fix. IMHO. ;)

(hashao) To me, it is cool but not really practical for common
(hashao) usage. But since cool is all our linux user care, go for it!

I wiiiilllll, thank you so much! ;)

(hashao) PS: I believe a lot of people use cut-and-paste to do Chinese
(hashao) input under netscape before and now. So it should not be a
(hashao) problem.

you mean you can do it? how? i just cant figure it out, please.
i can cut-n-paste in netscape, but after a paste, the chinese characters
are not shown in chinese fonts. _this_ is just my big headache.

best regards,

--
zhaoway -=- zw * zhaoway.com -=- http://www.zhaoway.com/ -=- blue ribbon
GnuPG 1024D/7C0441F2  BF4F B39D A53E A9BB 1057  2364 652C 1BA6 7C04 41F2