Re: Freeze is coming

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 07:29:54PM -0700, Anthony Fok wrote:
|On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 09:40:37AM +0800, Anthony Wong wrote:
|> For Debian guides, the translation is not yet completed, so I think it
|> won't be included...
|>
|> For the TTF, if you want them, I can package them. I'm just thinking
|> that it's not very 'meaningful' to package a truetype font. As the
|> freeze date is not yet fixed, I'll try my best to finish it on time :)
|
|But if they are not packaged, they would not be part of the Debian
|system, hence all we have would be the non-free Big5 ttf-twmoe-{kai,sung}
|fonts.  I see that the CLE Team has written a utility so a user can easily
|install any fonts that he/she already owns (e.g. from Chinese Windows).
|We're not there yet.  <sigh>  Oh well.  :-)

Well, for ASCII (or ISO-8859-*) fonts, when using xfstt, we can
already 'drop in' any fonts into a directory and it'll be used
automaticaaly.

When using CJK TTF with the X-TT X servers, we need to make a special
.scale file for each font so that it will have (pseudo-)italic and
bold effects. That's troublesome.

We also need to make a big list of aliases in the .alias file so that
the brain-dead netscape navigator knows how to scale the TTF
correctly. Hope this will not be the case when Mozilla is out.

Making a installation utility is also what I want to do. Given a TTF,
a .deb can be created automatically and installed for you. But until
xfree86 4.0 is out (or the features are somewhat freezed) I won't
pursue this... I don't want to chase a moving target =P

--
Anthony Wong.   [ E-mail: hajime@asunaro.dhs.org / ypwong@debian.org ]