Re: ibus-pinyin: Unable to get it to work on Debian Stretch

>>On Mon, 7/10/17, Yubin Ruan <ablacktshirt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Subject: Re: ibus-pinyin: Unable to get it to work on Debian Stretch
>>To: "Zach Williams" <zesw2the@yahoo.com>
>>Cc: "Debian邮件列表" <debian-chinese-gb@lists.debian.org>
>>Date: Monday, July 10, 2017, 7:59 PM
>>

>>I did not mean any offense. Just suggestions. Hopefully you don't mind. As for the solution, Boyuan has posted it with many details.
>
> Don't worry. No offense taken. Life's too short to be petty.
>
>>To install sougou-pinyin, do the following:
>>sudo apt-add-repository ppa:fcitx-team/nightly
>
> For your info, I am using Debian, not Ubuntu. Hence repos such as ppa are not applicable to my OS.

Ah... sorry for that. Just use fcitx and install fcitx directly. I
believe it is in the official repo.

>>If you can't apt-get the sougou-pin package, you can download from the official website [1], install it manually and fix any
>>dependency problems you encounter.
>
> Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to install pre-compiled packages from Debian's repos. The reason is I have an elementary knowledge of Debian and Linux and I do not know how to fix dependency issues.

That is pre-compiled package. Just do `dpkg -i
/path/to/the/deb/you/download.deb'. If you encounter any dependency
problem, there would be instructions to follow in the error output.
Maybe something like "dpkg -f ..." (I forgot that).

>>There are three things you have to remember:
>>
>>1. switch from ibus to fcitx in your system setting after you have installed fcitx.
>>
>>2. configure fcitx to use sougou-pin with command `fcitx-config' or `im-config'
>>
>>3. reboot
>
> Thanks for your tip.
>
> Boyuan in his first reply to me told me that ibus-pinyin had been deprecated. Am I right to assume that you're from mainland China? I have noticed that mainland Chinese users prefer to use fcitx over scim or ibus. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, fcitx rules.

>>I am not a Debian 9 user currently (using ubuntu now) so I don't know every detail. Nevertheless I would be glad if I can provide any
>>further help.
>
> If you are from mainland China, can you give me a rough estimate of the number of Debian users? Which Linux distro has the largest user base in mainland China? Is it Ubuntu? Or Ubuntu Kylin?

I don't know the exact number, but from my experience, most mainland
Chinese users prefer ubuntu, debian and arch-linux. Ubuntu Kylin is
friendly to Linuxer beginner (for example, you don't have to worry
about input method because those are all pre-installed). Notice that
there are also many companies using Centos and redhat, if you call
that a "user base".

> Well, you can help me if you have a spare computer to install Debian Stretch (English) and try to make ibus-pinyin work. I am just kidding.....But if you have the time to spare, why not experiment with it?

Well, I am under heavy workload and do not have so much time now
(maybe tomorrow). Please join the telegram group first to see whether
you can get help there (and learn some Chinese ;-)

Still, I would suggest fcitx.