ibus-pinyin: Unable to get it to work on Debian Stretch

Hi

My OS is Debian Stretch (64bit) with Gnome DE.

I wish to use ibus-pinyin to type Chinese characters and the packages named below were installed:

ibus-pinyin
libpyzy-1.0-0v5
pinyin-database

An icon called Input Method appeared on the list of installed software. I clicked on it and a window titled Input Method Configuration (im-config, ver. 0.30-1) popped up with the contents as follows:

Current configuration for the input method:
 * Active configuration: ibus (normally missing)
 * Normal automatic choice: ibus (normally ibus or fcitx or uim)
 * Override rule: zh_CN,ibus:zh_TW,ibus:zh_HK,ibus:zh_SG,ibus
 * Current override choice:  (en_US)
 * Current automatic choice: ibus
 * Number of valid choices: 2 (normally 1)
The override rule is defined in /etc/default/im-config.
The configuration set by im-config is activated by re-starting X.
Explicit selection is not required to enable the automatic configuration if the active one is default/auto/cjkv/missing.
Available input methods: ibus xim
Unless you really need them all, please make sure to install only one input method tool.

There were two buttons: Cancel and OK. I clicked OK.

Another window popped up with the below contents:

Do you explicitly select the user configuration?

 * Select NO, if you do not wish to update it. (recommended)
 * Select YES, if you wish to update it.

There were two buttons: No and Yes. I clicked Yes.

A third window popped up:

"Select user configuration. The user configuration supersedes the system one."

There were 7 radio buttons to choose from. I clicked the radio button called ibus. Next, I clicked OK.

A fourth window popped up:

Setting the user configuration /home/belleville/.xinputrc to ibus.
Manual configuration selects: ibus
Intelligent Input Bus (IBus)
 * Required for all: ibus
 * Language specific input conversion support:
   * Japanese: ibus-mozc (best) or ibus-anthy or ibus-skk
   * Korean: ibus-hangul
   * Simplified Chinese: ibus-pinyin or ibus-sunpinyin or ibus-googlepinyin
   * Traditional Chinese: ibus-chewing
   * Thai: ibus-table-thai
   * Vietnamese: ibus-unikey or ibus-table-viqr
   * X Keyboard emulation: ibus-xkbc
   * Generic keyboard translation table: ibus-m17n or ibus-table* packages
 * Application platform support:
   * GNOME/GTK+: ibus-gtk and ibus-gtk3 (both)
   * KDE/Qt: ibus-qt4
   * Clutter: ibus-clutter
   * EMACS: ibus-el

The user configuration is modified by im-config.

Restart the X session to activate the new user configuration.
If a daemon program for the previous configuration is re-started by the X session manager, you may need to kill it manually with kill(1).
See im-config(8) and /usr/share/doc/im-config/README.Debian.gz for more.

For the last time, I clicked the OK button. No more windows popped up.

I rebooted my machine.

After I re-logged in to Debian Stretch, there is no keyboard icon on the top right corner of the screen (in Debian Wheezy there is one.) I tried Ctrl+Space or Windows+Space to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

Zach