pppoeconf does not work

It's a quite strange issue, I have searched on google for the whole day, but cannot solve it, so I send this email to get help from you.

I installed Debian for both my PC and notebook using the same debian-40r3-i386-CD-1.iso CD. I have a ADSL boardband and there is no problem using the boardband on the debian in my PC, but there IS problem in using the brandband on debian in my notebook, though I configured them in the same way:
apt-get install pppoeconf
pppoeconf
When I ran pppoeconf on my PC, it went on smoothly and successfully, but when I ran it on my notebook, I got this error message:

Sorry, I scanned 1 interface, but the Access
Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please
check your network and modem cables. Another reason
for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe
process which controls the modem.

Then I checked my network card of my notebook by connecting my notebook to my PC using a special network cable, and I can get the shared files on my PC from my notebook, so I think my network card of my notebook is fine.

So I feel quite strange, what should the problem be?  I really need your help, I'm a newbie of debian, this is the first time I use debian. thanks!