problems writing chinese characters to web-mail services

Hello

since several security updates from december 2006 to march 2007 we have a
problem with the input of chinese characters when using web-mail services
like yahoo.com or similar. Before december 2006 this problem doesn't exist!

After a browser is started in a terminal with the environment variables set
to zh_CN.GB2312 you can login into the account of a web-mail service.
After calling the entry-page of the web-mail service the browser freezes
and xcin crashes without an error message (used browsers see below).
After that the browser is unusable and must be killed. It doesn't leave an
error message.
Input of chinese characters in e.g. xemacs-mule, OpenOffice, google and
altavista (i.e. input in the installed browsers) works fine.
Reading mail containing chinese characters using one of the web-mail
services works when the browser is started with another string for the
environment variable e.g. LANG=de_DE@euro.
We use an up to date installation of Debian 3.1 (sarge) with the software
mozilla-firefox 1.0.4 (the up to date patched Debian package for Sarge)
opera 9.21
mozilla ceased working for this purpose since the update woody -> sarge.
xcin (the up to date patched Debian package for Sarge)
rxvt-ml (=crxvt; the up to date patched Debian package for Sarge)
cpanel (the up to date patched Debian package for Sarge)

The locales for the needed english, chinese and german localizations are
configured and installed. xcin and rxvt-ml are configured along their
given documentation for the use with simplified chinese (zh_CN.GB2312).
The configuration for this software hasn't changes since the update from
woody to sarge.

Do we forget something in the configuration?
Does anyone have a working configuration which he can share with us?
Any suspicions or hints where to search for the error.

Answers in englisch are greatly appreciated, because my capabilities of
chinese are yet very small.

Many thanks in advance.