Re: Chinese input in Debian

On 05:05 Sun 26 Feb 2006, rockyo@max-source.com wrote:
> Hey,
> I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set up
> chinese input under debian?
Simple. Just use Debian's sources (I recommend sid since the input method's
version is newer). Then find pkg scim* and install them depending which
specific input method you choose.

After that, configure you locale to anything UTF-8 and export these
environment settings to the system:

#------Scim Settings---------#
GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export GTK_IM_MODULE
QT_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE
export XIM=SCIM
export XIM_PROGRAM=SCIM
export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -f x11 -d&
#------Scim Settings---------#

Then launch scim under the same setting. You will be able to input Chinese.

If you want a system wide setting, just put the lines quoted above in a
script under /etc/X11/Xsession.d/.

This enables scim to start automatically with X.

By the way, you can also try fcitx whose settings are similar to those listed
above just subsitute scim with fcitx.

Good luck and happy using Chinese.

--
regards
phyrster

Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the bright side of something.