Re: can't read my hanzi files with firefox

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 02:08:55AM -0800, Jean-Michel besnard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can read the hanzi from different chinese websites, however when I try to
> read my own files with firefox I only get weird characters.
> As an example, I have written some characters in a file called test.txt
> available at http://www.besnard.org/~besnard/test.txt

Open this URL in firefox, and select "Unicode (UTF-8)" in the menu
View -> Character Encoding, then you will get it.

[snip]

> Another interesting phenomenon:
> if I download a webpage in chinese (e.g http://www.china.com/index.html) and
> then open it with gedit, then all the chinese characters look as weird as the
> above mentioned one's I get in Firefox.

When you open this file, please select "Simplifed Chinese (GB18030)" as
Character Coding in the File Chooser. If no this item, find and add it
in "Add or Remove..." Dialog.

--
 Best Regards,
 Carlos