Re: URL for an English site describing how to enable Chinese input?

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:51:07 +0900 (JST), Bengt Thuree <bengt@thuree.com> wrote:
> Hej
>
> I am an non-chinese speaking guy, who wants to install a debian (sarge)
> system for my chinese wife. Or perhaps Ubunto. But the problem is that I
> am not to sure of how to configure the system so it will be an english
> system, but with an easy way to handle simplified chinese. Something
> similar to Win XP IME input.
>
> Most of the sites I have found by using Google referes to Chinese speaking
> persons, or are very old.
> I found a promising site though, but all the comments that looks to add
> good information are in Chinese.
> http://www.debian.org.hk/zh_cn/node/view/1067
> Also found this site http://seba.studentenweb.org/thesis/linux.php
>
> Our goal it to enable chinese for file names, open office, gaim, web and
> email.
> Probably more, but this will do for a start.
>
> Hopefully someone knows of a good english howto site for enabling Chinese
> input on an English debian/Sarge/Ubunto system.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Bengt

This article may be helpful :
http://www.erning.net/en_US/archives/000003.html

The article is based on Fedora, but basically Chinese on an English
system includes the following steps:
(1)locale installation
(2)fonts installation
(3)input method installation and configuration

BTW, maybe your wife can help you with reading Chinese posts on the internet :)

Arthur