Re: GCC

Yan, Zheng wrote:
> GCC 是跨平台的compiler
> icc 目前来说只支持x86
>
> 况且,intel说的20%究竟怎么样测的,我们也不晓得
> ps. kernel 目前不能用icc编译 (至少有些问题没解决,我在intel的朋友告诉我的)

Usually when measuring performance, people use benchmark suite, such as
SPEC.
The average performance is used to compare two products. I had some
experience with icc.
It made my C program 5% faster and had no noticable difference to my C++
program.

That said, I think how good is icc/gcc really depends on _your_ program.
Only the difference
they make on _your_ program matters the most to you. You just need to
try it out.

Personally, I like gcc since it is open source and widely used. (But I
hate STL from GCC
though ;-) )  icc may have better compiler optimization algorithms, but
they usually works
only for limited programs. Plus, the difference isn't really that much
(considering you are
usually limited by other things, like disks), if any.

--
Shopping for food while listening to a Bach violin concerto completely
remakes the experience. It turns you from a grazing animal into