hi all, i have a problem getting my chinese(gb) to show properly in Chinese terms

hi all, i have a problem getting my chinese(gb) to
show properly in Chinese terms such as zhcon, crxvt,
xcinterm-gb, etc. What happens is that when I type a
character it shows Ascii mode in octel (at least thats
what some people in #debian are telling me) to the
term. For example if i type NIHAO to the terminal it
would show
\304\343\272\303 to my terminal after my pinyin. Does
anyone got a clue?

appreciated for your help..

I am using:
Debian (Woody)
customized compilation of my kernel
zhcon, Chinput and XCIN both shows Ascii octels in
term...

thanks