Re: Can't enter Chinese in crxvt

--- Anthony Fok <anthony@thizlinux.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 12:57:03PM -0800, Andre Chang wrote:
> > I'm using crxvt and xcin under woody.
>
> Try running "xcinterm-big5" or "xcinterm-gb" directly.  These scripts
> automatically starts up xcin and rxvt for you.  Let us know if that works or
> not.

No, these scripts don't solve my problem.

> Failing that, run
> 	xlsfonts -fn '*big5*'

a bunch of -dynalab-ming-medium-r-normal-fantizi-*
       and -eten-fixed-medium-r-normal--*

> or
> 	xlsfonts -fn '*gb2312*'
> and let us know what you see.  You may need to run the following:

a bunch of -guobiao-song-medium-r-normal--*,
           -isas-fangsong ti-medium-r-normal--*,
       and -isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--*

> 	(as root)
> 	# apt-get install rxvt-ml xfonts-base xfonts-intl-chinese
>
> 	(as normal user in X)
> 	$ xset fp rehash
>
> After that, try xcinterm again.  :-)

I do have the fonts installed; I can vim and cat a file containing Chinese.
But the shell (tcsh) or terminal won't accept the multibyte characters.  I
can use ^V to enter the characters for "ni3 hao3" and it shows up as
"\247A\246n".  I can even touch the file, and when I `ls`, it shows up with
the Chinese characters.  It's only when I'm trying to type it at the shell
prompt (and presumably mutt inherits the environment or settings somehow).

Thanks,
Andre