Re: Problems...

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 06:54:17PM -0700, River Y. Liu wrote:
> Try to use tfm-arphic-bsmi00lp. Maybe it will works. I use gb fonts not
> big5. But I think they are probably the same.

Not, tfm-arphic-* are font data for TeX. :)

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:54:23 +1200
> Campbell <cste005@obsolete.co.nz> wrote:
> > As you can see from this, specifically in the licq window, I can send
> > chinese messages, but the font for english is to spaced out and large,
> > if i change the size to smaller then the characters are unreadable.
> >
> > What font should I be using? I believe at the moment I am using this
> > font: ttf-arphic-bkai00mp
> >
> > I have installed the traditional chinese task as well as anything that
> > i can find in list of packages that looks hopeful and still have not
> > come up with anything that is satisfactory.

What you have achieved is impressive consider that you don't understand
Chinese. :) Recently, Steven Huang had our Chinese FAQ translated into
English. Of course since the Debian Chinese page is still in English,
you will have difficult to find it. Please go to:

http://people.debian.org/~ygh/en/html/noframes/

It should help. I don't use qt/kde apps now, so I cannot help on that
specific app. It looks like Chinese Font is used to display English
characters. A fontset should be used to display both Chinese and
English. We have some KDE answers in that FAQ. If you have
any further question, please feel free to ask.

BTW: ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp is more often used as the standard traditional
Chinese font.

--
hashao|       其政闷闷,其民淳淳;其政察察,其民缺缺。是以圣人方而不割
hashao|     ,廉而不刿,直而不肆,光而不耀。