Re: how to add chinese support

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 09:42:27PM +0800, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Zou Min wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a GUI program written by tcl and wish.
> > May I know how to modify it to include chinese charater display and chinese
> > input suport ?
> >
> > Any examples or documentation?
>
> For chinese display support, I found an excellent article on
>
>     http://atlaspc3.physics.smu.edu/luliang/tcltk/

Firstly, thanks for your help!

Just went through the page. It seems that I have to recompile the tcl source
package. Are there any other ways without recompiling tcl?
(I am using tcl-8.3.3)

Actually, I have a simple program IRC client written in tcl and wish.
I want to modify it so that the Chinese can be used to chat.

>     ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/lang/tcl/jp/tcltk8.3.1i18n.patch.tar.gz
>
> But this patch is for tcl/tk 8.3.1 only, so not sure if it works on
> any later versions. Besides, this patch is undocumented.

Thanks! I will go to try it after solving the display problem.

> PS I haven't checked the status of i18n support in tcl/tk 8.3.4 or
>    8.4.0 alpha.

Inside unix/tclUnixInit.c of tcl-8.3.4,
For chinese, the locale table only has the following entry:
{"zh",              "cp936"},

Should I add the following and recompile it:
{"zh_CN",    "euc-cn"},
{"zh_CN.gbk",    "euc-cn"},
{"zh_CN.gb2312", "euc-cn"},

--
regards,

ZM
--
Sometimes it seems like we're all living in somekind of prison; and the
crime is how much we hate ourselves.  It's good to get really dressed up