Re: Problems to Chinese Localization

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:25:31PM +0800, yccheng@stsl.siemens.com.tw wrote:

> 1) Although I changed freetype -> xtt in XF86Config
>    the ttf fonts never shows

Make sure you have the ttf font path in your X fontpath.

\Question{

> 2) I grap some windows fonts and use fttools to
>    create fonts.dir, but seems fttools doesn't like
>    chinese ttf files and completely ignores them.
}

 \contributor{ha shao}{hashao@chinese.com}{2001/05/21}

mkttfdir only knows iso8859-1 and jis*. Just change
the encoding part of the created fonts.dir to big5-0 or gb2312.1980-0.

\Question{

> 3) What I want is to make applications to show chinese
>    correctly, but I don't want chinese error messages
>    by gettext(), how do I make it?

 }
 \contributor{ha shao}{hashao@chinese.com}{2001/05/21}

# Set it to display Chinese:
export LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
# or
export LANG=zh_TW.Big5

# Set it to display system/menu message in English
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso8859-1
# or
export LC_CTYPE=POSIX

--