Re: [Cjk] Is CJK-4.4.0 out? (TeXLive6-CJK.tar.bz2?)

Hello Werner,
I have forwarded this message to debian-chinese-*@lists.debian.org too.
Hope you don't mind.  :-)

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 06:56:50AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Is CJK-4.4.0 out?  If so, should I package TeXLive6-CJK.tar.bz2,
> > or should I wait for the cjk-4.4.0.tar.gz tarball?  Thanks.  :-)
>
> Oops!  Please ignore this archive.  I'll remove it soon.  It was only
> meant as an intermediate place so that Sebastian Rahtz can get some
> new files.  It is both incomplete and has some errors, and many files
> have especially been modified to fit into TeXLive6.

Hehe, thanks.  It is nice to play with though, and also part of the reason
to make me finally learn more about PFBs.  I was scared of them because I
knew little about them.  :-)  But then, I viewed CJKbable.ps and noticed
the Japanese and Korean PostScript fonts and the Chinese Arphic PK fonts...
:-)

Speaking of cjk-4.4.0, will it include gbklatex and bg5platex sh scripts?

> > Also, in the past few days, some of us on cle-devel and
> > debian-chinese have been experimenting with converting Arphic TTF
> > fonts to PFB files.  We played with ttf2pt1, and with "chpfb" in
> > which Chen Xiangyang used a modified ttf2pfb with added
> > Unicode<->Big5/GBK tables, it seems that these generated PFB fonts
> > can be used with (bg5)latex+dvips or (bg5conv+)pdflatex.
>
> I'm wondering why you need chpfb at all.  The
> ttf2pt1-chinese-3.3.2.tar.gz archive from ttf2pt1.sourforge.net
> already contains these mapping tables.

Hehe.  :-)  It is just that ttf2pt1 currently names all the glyphs
/c0 /c1 /c2.... /a /b /c /d /e /f /g etc. instead of the nice /cjk????
that ttf2pfb (and chpfb's modified ttf2pfb) uses.  (But that's probably
just cosmetic.  :-)

Also, ttf2pt1 seems to be generating a whole lot of warning messages.  On
the other hand, Edward Lee suggests that chpfb w/ ttf2pfb and ttf2pt1 both
provide very good competitions.  :-)

> > Would you prefer these Arphic public TTFs-turned-PFBs to be used
> > instead of ttf2pk as the default in future CJK releases?
>
> I don't know.  While dvips would benefit from this conversion, pdftex
> doesn't need it basically.  There were some discussions recently on
> the pdftex mailing list, showing how to include a CJK ttf into a PDF
> document, making it searchable also.  Nothing for the faint-harted
> currently...

Wow, that would be wunderbar!  Do you know if they would implement this
soon?  And, OTOH, is it technically possible for dvips to eventually do the
same thing, i.e. convert and embed TTF font data to a PostScript file
on-the-fly?

> On the other side, IIRC, Arphic's fonts contain almost no hints, so
> the conversion wouldn't make the fonts worse.

But then, for small point sizes at low resolution, the quality difference is
noticeable because GhostScript's hinting algorithms is still not as good as
Acrobat Reader's or ttf2pk's (freetype1).  :-)

> > Another question: Is there any easy way for dvips and pdflatex to
> > implement a "RotateFont" feature for PostScript fonts?  There
> > already is "SlantFont" and "ExtendFont" and a few other nifty
> > tricks.  I wonder if "RotateFont" could be easily implemented or
> > not.  Of course, we could also make ttf2pfb generate an extra set of
> > "rotated" PFB files, but it seems to be such a waste of diskspace...
> > :-) (Edward Lee informed me that ChiTeX and cwTeX currently use a
> > separate set of PFB files for rotated fonts?  Not sure...)
>
> My PS knowledge is very restricted.  Perhaps you can ask on the pdftex
> or tex-fonts mailing lists.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I didn't know that these mailing lists existed.
:-)

> But how will you handle vertical glyph representations (to be accessed
> via the GSUB table)?

Hehe, I really have no idea.  (I don't really know enough about GSUB table.
:-)

Thanks for all the great ideas!  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada