Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:06:15 +0900
From: Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota@riken.go.jp>
To: debian-i18n@lists.debian.org
Subject: XTerm i18n

Hi,

Though this is not directly related to Debian, I am now working on
internationalization of XTerm.  The newest version of XTerm with
newest patch can:
 - display locale-dependent (LC_CTYPE) encoding, including multibyte
   (EUC-*, GB, and so on).
 - input i18n string via XIM (kinput2, skkinput, etc).
under UTF-8 mode and legacy-encoding mode (xterm -u8 -lc).

I am dreaming that at last we CJK people will be able to use XTerm soon,
though I don't know whether it is earlier than Woody freeze...
Then we won't need 'sensible-x-terminal-emulator' any more.

Though XIM improvement patch was written by me, XTerm developers
cannot test them because they don't understand how to use XIM.
And also, I, the only XIM tester, failed to use ami, a Korean
XIM.  And more, I am novice on X programming and don't know much
on XIM and so on.  Thus I'd like someone to test XTerm with various
XIM.

The newest XTerm (#150) is found at http://dickey.his.com/xterm and
the newest patch for it (#23) is found at
http://susu.org.uk/~robert/xterm-23.diff.gz

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/