Re: How to set charset in mutt for big5?

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 04:22:46PM +0800, edward.@kimo.com wrote:
>   yes, 但我目前唯一的困扰就是 Subject 的部份,无法使它不
>   编码。编码的结果,有些 MUA 或 news reader 会无法解码,
>   纵使是和 metamail 配合,有人可以解决这个问题吗?好像要
>   改 source code 才行?

The standard said you have to encode the non-ascii headers for
email. So... You that those OSS hackers how stubborn about
stick to the standard. :(

MUA that won't handle encoded header is broken. Fill a bug
report to the author.

>   我是使用 slrn 来读 news 的,和 metamail 配合只能解决一部
>   份的问题,有人使用 slrn 的吗?

apparently, slrn sucks here. Maybe you can pipe the article to
a decoder. But you still cannot see headers in the list view.

Maybe you can setup a nntp proxy on your box that uses filter
to decode headers. Okey, we already have a perl version,
here is my python version :)

--
Best regard
hashao
#!/usr/bin/env python
# Okey, it is not really a RFC 2231 decoder. It basically decodes
# the RFC 2047 header, and base64 only. Python don't do
# quopri.decodestring, so no luck for quoted print encoding.
# ha shao <hashao@chinese.com>
# Jan 1, 2001

import re
import fileinput
import base64
# import quopri

regexB = re.compile("(?:=\?[^\?]*\?B\?)([0-9a-zA-Z+/=]*)\?=")

def codematch(matchobj):
	return base64.decodestring(matchobj.group(1))

for line in fileinput.input():
	subject_string = regexB.match(line)
	if regexB.search(line) != None :
		line = regexB.sub(codematch, line, 0)