Re: 璜??xcin????充?瑕‹浜†

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 01:57, thhsieh@linux.org.tw wrote:
> Sorry for replying late .... :-))

Me too. :) I'm typing this on my way to Hong Kong actually...

[...]
> The problem is, since libtabe includes both the library part and
> the tsi.src (the database of Tsi's), and some utilities. It may be
> happen that in the new release even though the library interface/
> internal itself does not change at all, but only the tsi.src changes.
> In any case the version number of the libtabe should increase, but
> not the libtabe interface version number. So, how to solve this?

I've thought about this problem too -- sometimes only the library has
changed, but not the database; however users using apt-get still needs
to re-download the whole database again.  Therefore, I think it's
actually better to split tsi.src from libtabe.  Is this feasible?

[...]
> Oh! Maybe we could follow the way of the glibc. Take a look at
> ls -l /lib/libc*:
>
> /lib/libc-2.2.4.so
> /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.4.so
>
> and the applicaion which links to libc is, say:
>
> THH:thhk7 $ ldd /bin/ls
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001c000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>
> Maybe we could create:
>
> libtabe-0.2.4.so.0.2.0
> libtabe.so.0 -> libtabe-0.2.4.so.0.2.0
>
> and let xcin depends on libtabe.so.0.
>
> What do you think? :-))

As libtool's documentation suggests, I don't think it's a good idea
to include the release number within the filename of the library
(the soname) itself.  In other words, don't use libtool's -release
flag when possible.  The soname should only change when the interface
of the library changes.

> : >    So, if you want to keep the most updated/maybe bug free source
> : >    code, please get the source of BOTH xcin & libtabe from the CVS.
> :
> : OK, but it would be better if, for example, fixes for 0.2.4 are branched
> : or tagged with 0-2-4, etc, instead of in CVS Head.  But this is only a
> : suggestion. :)
>
> OK, I will add a tage when I have time. Thanks for your suggestion :-))

In the meantime, please forgive the long version numbers I put on
libtabe's packages (currently at 0.2.4a+cvs20011126-1 :))

Oh, and to other users: you shouldn't need to put xcin and libtabe0 on
hold anymore.  Sorry for the confusion.

--
  Roger So                                               Opinions are
mine,