i18n programming question

I write the following code to test the mbtowc function:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <locale.h>
int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
  wchar_t pwc;
  int consumed;
  setlocale(LC_ALL,"zh_TW.Big5");
  if(argc > 1)
    {
      int length=strlen(argv[1]);
      int i=0;
      while(consumed=mbtowc(&pwc,argv[1]+i,length-i)>0)
        {
          printf("Consumed Byte %d\n",consumed);
          printf("Character : %lc\n",pwc);
          i+=consumed;
        }
    }

}

Here is the output:
hingwah@hingwah:~/programming/i18n$./testcharacter 意非凡BBS
Consumed Byte 1
Character : 意
Consumed Byte 1
Character : N
Consumed Byte 1
Character : 非
Consumed Byte 1
Character : D
Consumed Byte 1
Character : 凡
Consumed Byte 1
Character : Z
Consumed Byte 1
Character : B
Consumed Byte 1
Character : B
Consumed Byte 1
Character : S

And I want to ask isn't the mbtowc function should return 2 as it consume 2 byte
to construct the chinese character?