Re: Several newbie questions

zw@q ~ % dpkg -l man-db
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii  man-db              2.3.18-10           Display the on-line manual.
zw@q ~ %

man-db is a package, not a command, so don't expect you could run it
from any shell. and if there isn't a ``ii'' in the front of the line,
then things are break.

that means, if you dare to use unstable, you should be able to survive
from disasters. be prepared. ;)

in your case, the best bet is just to do:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install man-db

and see if things are ok. if not then ask and post the releavant error
messages. and remember not to install unstable the next time. ;)